Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Embedded - cannot upload large pbix to workspace (450 MB)

Hi everyone,

I am working with a customer on a Power BI Embedded implementation.

I created a workspace collection and a workspace, and was able to upload a small pbix file in the workspace,

The PBIX data source is an Azure SQL Database with several GB of data, which is updated in a daily frequency : that's why I first wanted to use Direct Query.

Problem : I had to use restricted DAX measures for some business calculations : the performances were very bad (which I guess is why it is restricted in the first), even if I am using P1 performance level, with 125 DTU and column store indexes.

So I tried to go with Import Data, which generates a 450 MB pbix file.

When I try to upload it through the API (using the ProvisionSample project available here: https://github.com/Azure-Samples/power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app/), the process does not work as it does for the Direct Query pbix.

I get this error message from the console application : "Ooops, somehting broke.", written in red.

Any idea why it does not go through? Is there a limit to pbix files when uploaded to a Power BI Workspace ? If yes, is it possible to call Microsoft to bypass this limit?

Regards,

Nicolas

3 REPLIES 3
Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Anonymous: If you use import data option in Power BI embedded, How you are doing to refresh your data. 

But  450 MB not issue, as per my knowledge size limit is 1GB

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sunkari thanks for the reply !

I am waiting the feature from the API 🙂

Meanwhile, I had this *dirty* workaround, where I schedule a script to open the pbix with Power BI Desktop, hit refresh, then save it and upload it using the API.

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Anonymous:Great sir 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.