Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kkuhle
Regular Visitor

Power BI API

What is the best way to connect to our UltiPro cloud service - Power BI REST API or Get Data > Web?

Get Data > Web

If I type the web service I'm able to see Attribute:name and Attribute:targetNamespace and not the fields I need.

Power BI REST API

I followed the instructions from Adam Saxton Push data into a Power BI dataset but having issues pulling in multiple web services from our UltiPro provider.

Process

- Get authentication access token

- Create dataset in Power BI

- Get the dataset to add rows into a Power BI table

- Authenticate with UltiPro web service

- Query web service

- Add rows to Power BI table

4 REPLIES 4
surfersamu
Helper II
Helper II

Were you succesful with this?

No, I was able to create a program with the authentication access tokens to query data from UltiPro, but was never able to create the dataset that Power BI would access.

Oh I see. Did you use C#? I'm tyring to do the exact same thing. I thought using a link with http Authorization headers would work but nothing.

The program you created can only query data form UtilPro but is not able to transfer anything to PowerBI? 

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@kkuhle wrote:

What is the best way to connect to our UltiPro cloud service - Power BI REST API or Get Data > Web?

Get Data > Web

If I type the web service I'm able to see Attribute:name and Attribute:targetNamespace and not the fields I need.

Power BI REST API

I followed the instructions from Adam Saxton Push data into a Power BI dataset but having issues pulling in multiple web services from our UltiPro provider.

Process

- Get authentication access token

- Create dataset in Power BI

- Get the dataset to add rows into a Power BI table

- Authenticate with UltiPro web service

- Query web service

- Add rows to Power BI table

@kkuhle

Both way should be good.

For the first approach, the data imported depends on the web link you pass. You shall figure out what are the UltiPro links/API shall be called to get expected data.

For the second approach, not clear about your "UltiPro provider", but it is definitely doable, eg in a C# console application.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.