Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

remeez
Frequent Visitor

Operation returned an invalid status code 'Forbidden' GenerateTokenInGroupAsync

Hi All,

I am getting an error while executing the GenerateTokenInGroupAsync().  The error "Operation returned an invalid status code 'Forbidden'".  

I had users using the system all day, and the late afternoon this just stopped working.  I am using the following method to get the access token.

public static async Task<AccessToken> SetAccessToken()
        {
            List<KeyValuePair<string, string>> vals = new List<KeyValuePair<string, string>>
            {
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("grant_type", "password"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("scope", "openid"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("resource", "https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("client_id", "XXXXX"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("client_secret", "XXXXX"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("username", "XXX"),
                new KeyValuePair<string, string>("password", "XXX")
            };
            string TenantId = "XXX";
            string url = string.Format("https://login.windows.net/{0}/oauth2/token", TenantId);
            HttpClient hc = new HttpClient();
            HttpContent content = new FormUrlEncodedContent(vals);
            HttpResponseMessage hrm = hc.PostAsync(url, content).Result;
            string responseData = "";
            if (hrm.IsSuccessStatusCode)
            {
                Stream data = await hrm.Content.ReadAsStreamAsync();
                using (StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(data, Encoding.UTF8))
                {
                    responseData = reader.ReadToEnd();
                }
            }
            AccessToken token = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<AccessToken>(responseData);

return token;
        }

I can retrieve the report details using client.Reports.GetReportInGroupAsync().

var report = await client.Reports.GetReportInGroupAsync(groupId, reportId, CancellationToken.None);

var generateTokenRequestParamaters = new GenerateTokenRequest(TokenAccessLevel.View, datasetId, allowSaveAs: null);
var tokenResponse = await client.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(groupId, report.Id, generateTokenRequestParamaters, CancellationToken.None);

The error occurs when executing the last line of code in the code above.

Regards

Remeez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Sorry for the late response, the reason I was getting the error was because my account ran out of free token requests.  I had to switch on dedicated capacity in order to continue.

Regards

Remeez

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @remeez,

Please first follow the steps mentioned by Eric_Zhang in the following thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Generate-PowerBI-Embed-Token-gives-me-Forbidden-500-Inter...

Regards,

Michael

Hi @v-micsh-msft,

Sorry for the late response, the reason I was getting the error was because my account ran out of free token requests.  I had to switch on dedicated capacity in order to continue.

Regards

Remeez

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I'm having the same problem and I can't figure it out. I'm wondering if it's for the same reason as you. How would I check how many free token requests I have left?

Hi, I might have the same problem. Did you find a way to identify it? I mean, Any way to check the amount of token requests left?

I am also looking to find out the number of token requests left. Were you able to find it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors