Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlhane
Regular Visitor

Need to pass the user as a SQL function parameter

I found a couple posts that grazed the subject but none that nailed my need.  It sounds like user based data filtering, which is a *pretty fundamental* requirement, is pretty immature or void in Power BI.  From what I've read, it appears that the USERNAME() function is only effectual when used against a cube, etc.

What I want and REALLY NEED... I need to assign the user name to a SQL function parameter which can not be altered by the user.  How can I do that? I can take care of the rest within my SQL table valued functions.

Perhaps there are some other or better ways to ensure data filtering.  I need something users can't play with that ensures the data presented to them is appropriate for them.

Thanks,

-Ron

1 REPLY 1
rerangel
Helper I
Helper I

I have a similar request.

My users are the vendors or sellers. I dont want to make one panel for each one and shared to them. is not practical with a lot of sellers. But if a imake one panel, and it cant be automatically filtered by the user, which are the seller, then the problem is solved.

my data origin is sql server.  So i dont see an answer here, so i asume it cant be done

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.