Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

boeremaj

Licensing in a web app

Hi all,

I saw some more questions about this topic, but it's not clear to me.

A customer of mine would like to implement some tiles in a web app for their customers. How should they get this arranged with licenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

Often with a scenario like this you must choose between using a PowerBI.com workspace or a Power BI Embedded workspace. However, if your requirements is to use dashboard tiles instead of reports, then Power BI Embedded is not an option because it does not support dashboards. Power BI Embedded only supports what you can add into a Power BI Desktop project which included datasets and reports.

If you are using workspaces in PowerBI.com, each user needs an Office 365 account (or more specifically an Azure AD user account inside an Azure AD tenent). Next, each user will require a Power BI licenses which could be either the Power BI Pro license or the Power BI free license. Note that while most Power BI users will have an Office 365 license, it is not an absolute requirement.

If the process of creating an Office 365/Azure AD user account for each user and configuring all these user accounts with Power BI licenses is impracticle or impossible, then Power BI embedded is the road to go down. It's just that you will have to embed reports into your custom web app as opposed to dashboard tiles.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

Often with a scenario like this you must choose between using a PowerBI.com workspace or a Power BI Embedded workspace. However, if your requirements is to use dashboard tiles instead of reports, then Power BI Embedded is not an option because it does not support dashboards. Power BI Embedded only supports what you can add into a Power BI Desktop project which included datasets and reports.

If you are using workspaces in PowerBI.com, each user needs an Office 365 account (or more specifically an Azure AD user account inside an Azure AD tenent). Next, each user will require a Power BI licenses which could be either the Power BI Pro license or the Power BI free license. Note that while most Power BI users will have an Office 365 license, it is not an absolute requirement.

If the process of creating an Office 365/Azure AD user account for each user and configuring all these user accounts with Power BI licenses is impracticle or impossible, then Power BI embedded is the road to go down. It's just that you will have to embed reports into your custom web app as opposed to dashboard tiles.

Thanks for your reply!

So do I understand correct that if I use reports embedded, I don't need any licences for my customers?

Yes, that is correct. If you use Power BI Embedded, you do not pay for user licenses. Instead, you pay a report session fee which i beleive is 5 cents a report session once you pass the certain threashold of report sessions per month.

@TedPattison wrote:

Yes, that is correct. If you use Power BI Embedded, you do not pay for user licenses. Instead, you pay a report session fee which i beleive is 5 cents a report session once you pass the certain threashold of report sessions per month.

@boeremaj

Add Power BI Embedded Pricing.

boeremaj

I saw some more questions about licensing Power BI, when the tiles are shown in a web app. A customer of mine would like to show some tiles to his customers.

How should they get that arranged in their licensing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.