Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

In Power BI embedded, what constitutes a closed report

With Power BI embedded, a session is defined as a report per user for an hour, or until the user closes the report. What constitutes a closed report? I'll detail a scenario.

If I have a report on a page, and a user renders the page to see that report, they will incur a single session cost. If that same user navigates to a different page, that has the same report embedded, does that user incur another session charge? Is that first session closed when the user navigates away from the page?

I can't seem to fing the answer to this anywhere... 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Berty
Frequent Visitor

When users render a report page, they each recieve an app token. Reuse that app token until it expires. This way you won't incur needless session charges. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Berty
Frequent Visitor

When users render a report page, they each recieve an app token. Reuse that app token until it expires. This way you won't incur needless session charges. 

Berty
Frequent Visitor

Question: "If that same user navigates to a different page, that has the same report embedded, does that user incur another session charge?"

My answer: "yes and no, it depends on how you code your application. An end user uses an app token and not an access key to view embedded reports. The main difference between an app token and an access key is your application provisions app tokens to the end user while azure provisions the access keys to your application. Because there exists a middle layer between azure and your end user (the middle layer being your application), azure doesn't have any knowledge of end users.

In your scenario, Azure knows that your application is requesting many sessions. Azure does not know your application's end user is requesting the same report multiple times. To resolve this, you have to make your application smart by managing each end user's app token efficiently. 

Hope this addresses your question

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.