Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardL
Employee
Employee

Imported Data Not Stored Correctly in dataViews[0]

I have a custom visual that reads in data from three columns in Excel into a table.  My test columns look like this:

A  |  B  |   C

-------------------

0  |     | Name0

1  |  0  | Name1

2  |  1  | Name2

3  |  2  | Name3

4  |  3  | Name4

5  |  4  | Name5

In the dataRoles section of capabilities.json, the kind for the three data fields is declared as "GroupingOrMeasure". 

When I inspect dataViews[0].table.rows in the developer panel of my browser, all data values for column A are 1's.  One row of column B contains a 'null', which is correct.  However, the rest of the rows contain 1's.  All strings for column C are correct. 

This is how the data looks in dataViews[0].table:

A  |  B   |   C

--------------------

1  | null | Name0

1  |   1  | Name1

1  |   1  | Name2

1  |   1  | Name3

1  |   1  | Name4

1  |   1  | Name5

I am on API 1.8.0 and don't recall running into this problem with earlier API's.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RichardL,

Thank you reaching us out.

Since all of numeric columns are declared as GroupingOrMeasure the user must select “Don’t summarize” for each measure column (default behavior is Count).

As an alternative solution you should use Measure instead of GroupingOrMeasure for numeric columns.

image.png

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

Thanks Ignat.  Switching to Measure in the capabilities.json didn't seem to work for me.  However, manually select "Don't summarize" for each measure column in Power BI Desktop did seem to fix the issue.  Too bad it's not the default, and I never had to manually do this in previous versions of PBI Desktops or custom visual API's.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share your data-set and your custom visual for further debugging?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Data set and custom visual have been sent to pbicvsupport@microsoft.com.  Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RichardL,

Thank you reaching us out.

Since all of numeric columns are declared as GroupingOrMeasure the user must select “Don’t summarize” for each measure column (default behavior is Count).

As an alternative solution you should use Measure instead of GroupingOrMeasure for numeric columns.

image.png

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks Ignat.  Switching to Measure in the capabilities.json didn't seem to work for me.  However, manually select "Don't summarize" for each measure column in Power BI Desktop did seem to fix the issue.  Too bad it's not the default, and I never had to manually do this in previous versions of PBI Desktops or custom visual API's.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.