Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardL
Employee
Employee

How to retrieve table data from Power BI desktop into custom visual?

Hello, I've created a table with two columns named "X" and "Y" in Power BI Desktop.  Each column contains integers.  I also created a custom visual that I can import into Power BI Desktop.  Is there a way for me to read data from the X and Y columns into my custom visual using TypeScript only or do I need some sort of external library to do so?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RichardL
Employee
Employee

I figured it out.  Had to modify capabilities.json and use DataViewMappings in my visual.ts file.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RichardL
Employee
Employee

I figured it out.  Had to modify capabilities.json and use DataViewMappings in my visual.ts file.

@RichardL

Could you post what you ended up with, by any chance? I think I have a similar problem and don't know how to access table data mapping values in visual.ts.

First, I would read this introduction on DataView:  DataView Introduction

Also go over DataViewMappings here:  DataViewMappings

Then follow this great example:  Build Your Custom Visuals Power BI

I believe those three links above will set you on the right track.  Good luck.

I have seen first two links and didn't find them particularly helpful,

The third example though is great indeed - many thanks!

Not a problem.  Documentation on how to retrieve table data from Power BI desktop is very sparse and difficult to find, to my surprise.  I tried searching for books on this to no avail.  Boo.

The third example got me started just fine, I was flailing around until I found that!

@RichardL,

Glad to hear that you've solved this problem and thank you for sharing the solution. You could mark it as answer so that other community members might gain benefits.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cake walk in the park 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.