Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MukeshBhatt
Frequent Visitor

How to differentiate Power BI users when making connection in sql server using same gateway.

Hello Friends,

Hope you are doing well.

Before putting the real requirement, let me explain some back ground of the requirement.

I am working on Power Bi reports from last couple of Months.

Note: Data source SQL server database by using the stored procedure which pulls the data for the report.)  

The reports are working fine in our first phase testing where we have shared the reports/Dashboard some of our admin level users. We are using on-premises gateway which will make connection one of our sql server user which we have given at time of setup the gateway.

Currently if we login in PBI Portal with two Power Bi users (User 1 and User 2) and refresh the data set of the report both the users make the connection in Sql server with same sql user what we have define in the gateway.

Requirement:

Is it possible I can differentiate both the power BI users (User 1 and User 2) in sql server when they make connection in sql server through Power Bi Portal with the same gateway service?

I have tried to create a separate gateway in manage gateway option for specific user group Role in sql server but could not found the option create new gateway.   

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@MukeshBhatt

Within one gateway, you can only create only one data source for one SQL Server database(servername/dbname). Even with different credentials(user/password), The data sources will be identified as duplicated.

There's no any "create new gateway" button, to create a new gateway, you just download the gateway and configure it after installation.

By the way, what is your scenario to have connection with different users. If for audit purpose, maybe you can check Using auditing within your organization.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors