Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Favna
Regular Visitor

How to create service to submit to AppSource?

Hello community,

In my organization, an ISV, we are looking towards providing wallboards of (semi-)live data to our customers with their data that is stored in our Azure environment. The idea is that this data wallboard will be an additional service the customer can buy. As these customers are on their own other organizations they fall entirely outside of my organization and so we're looking for a method of making a connector to their data available to them as external customers. The way we have envisioned it is that the customer would

1. Go to https://app.powerbi.com/
  2. Sign in to their PowerBI Free account
  3. Go to the apps section
  4. Click Get Apps
  5. Find our app among the other apps on the Microsoft AppSource (such as GitHub, Salesforce and CloudScope)
  6. Authenticate using the login credentials provided to them by us previously and if required get prompted to buy the service
  7. Get their data in the form of a dashboard that automatically updates with a maximum of 5 minute intervals and minimum of 5 seconds intervals.

The most important points of this system to us are:

• Once running it doesn't require an employee from my organization to manually verify every request. Payment, authentication and data retrieval should be fully automated. No sharing of URLs to dashboards or apps etc.
  • Costs are relatively low - my organization already has a Microsoft Azure environement to store the application in and to our understanding that is enough to not also require PowerBI Premium. PowerBI Pro does seem to be a requirement.
  • Customers are completely outside of the organization. We store their login credentials on our cloud server and we also use our cloud server as a medium to get their data into their wallboard, but we do not assign the customer to our organization's tenant.

Now the point where we are stuck is that there is no solid documentation that specifically says how to get started developing an application that can be submitted to AppSource as stated above. We can find pricing information for various PowerBI products, we can find the webpage for submitting PowerBI apps to AppSource as well as generally submitting services to AppSource, but there doesn't seem to be any open documentation as to where to get started developing the app.

The only information that I can find is that we would deploy the application in the form of PowerBI Embedded into a webapp that we would also have to develop, but this is not at all the same as deploying the application to AppSource as it also doesn't require our customers to have a PowerBI free account and we'd have to handle the pay in system entirely differently.

It would be much appreciated if someone could point us into the right direction for getting a development project going to develop an application for PowerBI in this form.

Greetings,

Favna

p.s. to give an idea of the data structure we have envision I have enclosed the following diagram:

Envisioned way of data transfer for community postEnvisioned way of data transfer for community post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Favna,

For better technique assistance, you may directly create a support ticket.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

we want to achive the same. Should we also open a support ticket? I did not find any documentation...

Thanks,

Petr

Just submitted a ticket... I hope that'll get us out of this problem.

Hi Favna,

Did you get any help with this?

Best regards,

Mikkel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.