Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

iversa
Helper I
Helper I

How do I pass parameters to a dashboard

I have 10-15 sales reps and want to share a dashboard/report in Power BI but need to pass a parameter to these reports by default. For example, each sales rep is only supposed to see their sales totals. If possible the president of the company suppose to see all data. There I may just create a separate dashboard but for the sales reps I want to use the same dashboard.

Any idea how I could do this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

No, row-level security is what you're looking for.  The reason I asked about the API is because this section of the forum tends to focus on the Power BI API / Embedded version.

You'll most likely want to target this question in the "Desktop" forum.  I'll give a little more clarity:

Does your dataset currently capture the sales team member's email address anywhere? For instance, do you have a 'User' table that has the UserID, Email, Name, etc?  If you do, then your data is perfectly shaped to use RLS wih the USERNAME() DAX function.  This would filter would capture the user's email address (Office 365 account) when they view the report and filter the dataset accordingly.

I strongly suggest checking this out, it should give you enough guidance: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This sounds like row-level (or role-based) security.  Are you creating this dashboard through the Power BI API, or publishing the report via Power BI Desktop?

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

Yes, that is correct in that it would be a row-level security

I'm publishing the report via Power BI Desktop. So far we have not anything using the Power BI API? Would that make it easier? Where would be start when using the API?

malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

No, row-level security is what you're looking for.  The reason I asked about the API is because this section of the forum tends to focus on the Power BI API / Embedded version.

You'll most likely want to target this question in the "Desktop" forum.  I'll give a little more clarity:

Does your dataset currently capture the sales team member's email address anywhere? For instance, do you have a 'User' table that has the UserID, Email, Name, etc?  If you do, then your data is perfectly shaped to use RLS wih the USERNAME() DAX function.  This would filter would capture the user's email address (Office 365 account) when they view the report and filter the dataset accordingly.

I strongly suggest checking this out, it should give you enough guidance: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

Hi,

This might be a similar problem I ran into. I have a big stored procedure where I am pullig many data point on each company we do business with. I have a company ID which is main ID for the report. What I am trying to do is the following:

We have our own CRM where we have info on each company and there would be an option to click on a link that would open the Power BI report automatically displaying only the data set and visuals for the respective company. Is this possible in Power BI?

We have done this in the past in SSRsS by creating a parameter which was the company id and passing it through our CRM to accomplish this task. However, loading and eveything else takes very long and we are migrating all our reporting efforts to power BI. I was wondering if you have any guidance on that and whether I can do this in Power BI or do I need to stick to SSRS?

Thank you and have a great day.

Lukas

Ok, so I think that will work. Yes my data does have the users emails (office 365 account). I will look into your link. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.