Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How best to create a Power BI Embedded Pro master account

We're developing an application that uses Power BI Embedded, so it requires a dedicated Power BI Pro account to work. I find it weird that I have to create a username complete with email address (because I'm sure I need that to receive forgotten passwords) to make the software work.

It ends up being a new dummy account just for this purpose. Alternatively, I could use an existing employee's credentials, but that's even worse because I'm hardcoding their username and password in the software.

What is the proper way to create a Power BI Pro account for use by the software and no one else? Does it need a valid email address or can I make up a new account called "powerbi@mycompany.com".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

You are right.

Power BI Embeded requires you to have a Power BI Por account.

Quoted:

"

Power BI Embedded will continue to use Azure AD for authentication of the master user (a designated Power BI Pro licensed user), authenticating the application inside Power BI.

The authentication and authorization of the application users will be implemented by the ISV, the ISV can implement their own authentication for their applications.

If you already have an Azure AD tenant, you can use your existing directory, or you can create a new Azure AD tenant for your embedded application content security.

"

The master Account used in Power BI Embeded should be able to access the embeded reports from the groups (or workspaces) needed, if it is more convenient with a special account "powerbi@mycompany.com", please make sure that account have the proper permission to edit reports and do group operations .

More FAQ, please check:

Power BI Embeded FAQ

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

You are right.

Power BI Embeded requires you to have a Power BI Por account.

Quoted:

"

Power BI Embedded will continue to use Azure AD for authentication of the master user (a designated Power BI Pro licensed user), authenticating the application inside Power BI.

The authentication and authorization of the application users will be implemented by the ISV, the ISV can implement their own authentication for their applications.

If you already have an Azure AD tenant, you can use your existing directory, or you can create a new Azure AD tenant for your embedded application content security.

"

The master Account used in Power BI Embeded should be able to access the embeded reports from the groups (or workspaces) needed, if it is more convenient with a special account "powerbi@mycompany.com", please make sure that account have the proper permission to edit reports and do group operations .

More FAQ, please check:

Power BI Embeded FAQ

Regards,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.