Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tiago
Helper I
Helper I

[HELP] How to create my first DAX

Hi there,

I work for a retail company and I a newbie on POWER BI. I have good knowledge in Excel and I am starting to learn POWERBI DAX. I am trying to do simple things to see If I can start to understand how POWER BI works. I never did a calculated field, at least not one that worked as I wanted it to. So, If someone could point me on the right direction I would be glad.

I want to do a simple report with the number of items sold on the past 10 days and how many of that items where in SALE. I was able to setup the MATRIX to show the date with the past 10 days and the number of items sold per establishment, but I don’t know how to do a count when the PRODUCT is on SALE.

My set of data has all the proper relationships made and it is distributed like this.

1. A table with all the products (unique values) and attributes – This table is called PRODUCTS.
  2. A table with all the products sold per establishment and date. (I am using the FIELD DATE as ROW on MATRIX, the FIELD Items_Sold as VALUE and the FIELD BRANCH as COLUMN in the MATRIX) This table is called SOLD_ITEMS
  3. A table with UNIQUE values with all the PRODUCTS and PRICES and the % of discount of the ITEM. This table is CALLED PRODUCTS_PRICES and has the following FIELDS PRODUCTS, PRICE, DISCOUNT. This TABLE has RELATION with PRODUCTS TABLE and the PRODUCTS table have RELATION with the SOLD_ITEMS table.

My question is how do I create a calculated field that checks if the field DISCOUNT > 0 and count it. I know that I need to add PRODUCT to the matrix so it can bring the discount for each product sold and count them, but I don’t know how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tiago

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In general:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column]),FILTER(Table,[DISCOUNT] > 0))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Try putting the table name in front of the second column. You'll definitely need to have all of the tables related to one another. Posting some sample/mock data would be very beneficial to posting a solution that would definitely work. You can also look into RELATED and RELATEDTABLE functions. For example, you could do things like:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column]),FILTER(Table[DISCOUNT] > 0), FILTER(RELATEDTABLE(Table2), [Item_Sold] > 0))

Latest book!:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In general:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column]),FILTER(Table,[DISCOUNT] > 0))

Latest book!:

Hi SMOUPRE, 

You are the best. It worked!!! Only thing that is missing is that I need to count just if Item_Sold > 0 how to add that to your expression?

What happened was that sometimes, there is an item that is returned and this item gets stored on database like this Item_Sold = -1. With the measure that you helped me to create if this product that was returned was on SALE it gets counted like a sold item.

Basically I need to add to that measure an IF to the count so it would coult only if Item_Sold >0.

Thanks you for the help!

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column]),FILTER(Table,[DISCOUNT] > 0 && [Item_Sold] > 0))

Latest book!:

smoupre, 

Thank you for the quick response, I will try what you suggested, but DISCOUNT is on the TABLE PRODUCTS_PRICES and Item_Sold is on the TABLE SOLD_ITEMS the way you suggesting DISCOUNT and Item_Sold had to be on the same table no ?

Edit: 

As I imagined, it doesnt work, it says that the colum Item_Sold was not found. If you could suggest how to do it would be great.

Thx

Try putting the table name in front of the second column. You'll definitely need to have all of the tables related to one another. Posting some sample/mock data would be very beneficial to posting a solution that would definitely work. You can also look into RELATED and RELATEDTABLE functions. For example, you could do things like:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table[Column]),FILTER(Table[DISCOUNT] > 0), FILTER(RELATEDTABLE(Table2), [Item_Sold] > 0))

Latest book!:

Smoupre,

Thank you for the reply, definitely will study DAX, but your help was a great start to understand the language. Apparently you last suggestion worked.

Regards,

Tiago

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.