Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kassii
Frequent Visitor

Getting around Oauth2

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a hand and answer this query

Is it possible to have the credentials for Oauth2 hard coded in as opposed to when I request the access token and have to enter them?

Or is there a way to make dashboards and reports 100% public so that all that is required is to just load the webpage (so to speak) and the iFrames will be present with data

Any help would be great guys 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Kassii

Technically it is possible. You can get a token from the API POST https://login.windows.net/common/oauth2/token with GRANT_TYPE=password

POST /common/oauth2/token HTTP/1.1
Host: login.windows.net
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Cache-Control: no-cache
Postman-Token: 14968174-d130-31dd-7dac-f78c06844286

client_secret=zmZ%2BC1nx3SXgrBzVOce%2BPb4T6uxrpnmmDPHahzPUhE4%3D&client_id=30d8120d-52c9-40f1-ac3b-d0c6720f0f20&grant_type=password&resource=https%3A%2F%2Fanalysis.windows.net%2Fpowerbi%2Fapi&username=YOURUSERNAME%40microsoft.com&password=YOURPASSWORD

Then keep getting access token via the refresh_token in above response. 

However I doubt this would violate the license compliance as all people would aceess the restricted reports/dashoboard  with the same credential.

For public sharing, you can consider "Publish to web" or Power BI Embedded which have no user licenses at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.