Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Reza
Helper II
Helper II

Failed to grant permissions for application <application name>

Hi,

I am following this article for registering my app in Azure AD for non-Power BI users (app own data).

Logged in as master account I have done all steps but fail to complete step "6. Within Required permissions, select Grant Permissions.". I get error when I try to grant permission to the master account. 

The error is very vague though: 

"Failed to grant permissions for application <application name>". 

And this more detailed error: 

{"errorCode":"Authorization_RequestDenied","localizedErrorDetails":{"errorDetail":"<My Application Name> is requesting permission to Access the directory as the signed-in user, which you are not authorized to grant. Contact your administrator, who can grant permissions to this application on your behalf."},"operationResults":null,"timeStampUtc":"2017-08-02T08:17:07.8442433Z","clientRequestId":"*****","internalTransactionId":"****","upn":"master@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com","tenantId":"*****","userObjectId":"****"}

I could give permission to all users with the global admin though.

Does anyone know what is the root cause of this error and how to fix that?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Eric_Zhang,

Thanks for your reply. I have finally managed to get through this. It was not permission but a configuration mistake which I was not aware of.

At the time I was regisering our app I chose server side web-app but when I got a samle code from GitHub I realised for App Owns Data I had to create Native App. Registering a new application for Power BI with Native App I successfully assigned all permission without any error. 

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Reza

I do follow that tutorial and it works without any problem in my test. Based on my research, it seems some insufficient permission issue in your case. For better response, I'd suggest you post in the dedicated Azure AD forum, you'll get better response there.

Hi @Eric_Zhang,

Thanks for your reply. I have finally managed to get through this. It was not permission but a configuration mistake which I was not aware of.

At the time I was regisering our app I chose server side web-app but when I got a samle code from GitHub I realised for App Owns Data I had to create Native App. Registering a new application for Power BI with Native App I successfully assigned all permission without any error. 

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.