Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

oliverg

Embedding filtered report into CRM form

Hey guys, 

We are working with a client that wants us to build a visualization for CRM accounts that reflect some sales data. They want us to add the visualization to an account CRM form with the data filtered by that account. 

So after doing some research, we came to the conculsion that the best way to handle this is to build a webapp that handles the PowerBI authentication, takes care of adding the filter parameter and displays the report in a webpage. That page will be embedded in the CRM form via an iframe.

Essentially it retrieves the access token and accesses the report via the URL "https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=XXX" and adds the filter via the oDataFilter. Pretty standard stuff. 

Now the problem is that apparently you can't share reports with other people, so consequently only the owner of that report will be able to see the visualization in CRM. On the other hand, displaying the report as a dashboard tile won't work either because as far as I know, filters aren't supported for dashboards / tiles. At least I never got them to work in my solution.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to tackle this scenario? Is there anything I'm missing or is there a better solution to this problem?

Thanks for your input!

2 REPLIES 2
IvanMislav
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Oliver,

We are also working with the costumer and we are considering the same scenario as you described. I was wondering if you had any progress with this? Is it possible to do something like this now?

Thanks!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@oliverg wrote:

Hey guys, 

We are working with a client that wants us to build a visualization for CRM accounts that reflect some sales data. They want us to add the visualization to an account CRM form with the data filtered by that account. 

So after doing some research, we came to the conculsion that the best way to handle this is to build a webapp that handles the PowerBI authentication, takes care of adding the filter parameter and displays the report in a webpage. That page will be embedded in the CRM form via an iframe.

Essentially it retrieves the access token and accesses the report via the URL "https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=XXX" and adds the filter via the oDataFilter. Pretty standard stuff. 

Now the problem is that apparently you can't share reports with other people, so consequently only the owner of that report will be able to see the visualization in CRM. On the other hand, displaying the report as a dashboard tile won't work either because as far as I know, filters aren't supported for dashboards / tiles. At least I never got them to work in my solution.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to tackle this scenario? Is there anything I'm missing or is there a better solution to this problem?

Thanks for your input!

I don't know about the CRM, wondering how you access the Power BI Service, with the same CRM account?

Regarding filtering by account, Row level security seems a better way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.