Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WESTi
Helper I
Helper I

Embedded newbie - will I be limited to the same functionality as Direct Query?

We have an app built on Microsoft SQL server. We are looking to use Power BI embedded for clients to view their specific information from our database via predefined reports that we have created.

A requirement of these reports is that we need to use the SUMMARIZE and GENERATE DAX functions in a DAX created table. This is not available in a direct query report that is built in Power BI desktop. 

So my question is, when we switch to Power BI embedded, will we be limited by the direct query limitations - as in we cannot create DAX tables? I am trying to build our current reports in line with what will be suitable for Power BI embedded as I would like to directly transfer them. Also, it is obviously important that our reports are always using live data for our clients when accessing the reports over the app.

On a side note, is there any way I can test building for Power BI embedded to ensure my current reports are suitable?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@WESTi wrote:

We have an app built on Microsoft SQL server. We are looking to use Power BI embedded for clients to view their specific information from our database via predefined reports that we have created.

A requirement of these reports is that we need to use the SUMMARIZE and GENERATE DAX functions in a DAX created table. This is not available in a direct query report that is built in Power BI desktop. 

So my question is, when we switch to Power BI embedded, will we be limited by the direct query limitations - as in we cannot create DAX tables? I am trying to build our current reports in line with what will be suitable for Power BI embedded as I would like to directly transfer them. Also, it is obviously important that our reports are always using live data for our clients when accessing the reports over the app.

On a side note, is there any way I can test building for Power BI embedded to ensure my current reports are suitable?

Thanks

Power BI Embeded still uses the pbix created from Power BI desktop, which means no, you can't bypass the limitation. However as to "SUMMARIZE", I think you can somewhat achieve this in TSQL.

For live data, if it is SQL Server on-premises in your case, Power BI Embedded is obvious not a good option, Because at this moment, Power BI Embedded only supports direct query mode for Azure SQL database and Azure SQL Data warehouse.

By the way, just to confirm that, you're talking about this Power BI Embedded, right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.