Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marco6
Frequent Visitor

Drilling and Interactivity across pages

Hi all!

Currently I am developing a custom visual for one of my clients. One of the features that I need is to drilldown on click of a data point. A behavior like the "histogram" default component would be perfect (the user can select data, then if [s]he clicks on "drill mode" can drill down contextual data).

Trying out the sampleBarChart component from the Microsoft's tutorial, I get a strange behavior:

- In PowerBI Desktop everything works as expected.

- In PowerBI Online (IE11/FF/Chrome) it does nothing.

Strangely enough, if I manually force the refresh of the data (by for example resising the visual - edit mode only) I get the right data! For this reason I guess a possible workaround would be a simple refresh... But AFAIK it is not possible to trigger a refresh on a visual by code...

I am attaching a pbix with a dumb dataset to reproduce the issue. I had to enable drilldown on the sampleBarChart visual: I simply added

"drilldown": {
	"roles": ["category"]
},

in the capabilities and built it.

Can anybody help?

Attachment:

- PBIX (I could not upload it here...) https://www.sendspace.com/file/1oo07q

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marco6
Frequent Visitor

One last note: with the new update of PBI Desktop, the offline behavior matches the online one.

Meanwhile, the related issue has been accepted.

Thank you for you support,

Marco

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@marco6,

It seems to be a limitation, try to leave a comment on GitHub.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi! Thank you for you answer!

Checking thoroughly the behavior of the visual, I managed to get the same behavior using just the drilldown controls (nothing custom at all this time: no selection, no contextual drilldown, no events on my custom visual fired... And no refresh until resize!). It seams to me much more like a bug than a limitation. I made a quick scheme of what the behavior I get and I attached to this message.

Immagine.png

As you can see, when I expand to the next level, the controls and the title understand the change and are able to update, but the data isn't. I get no update event (I am logging every event). Moreover, clicking "update" has no effect on the visual (once it gets in that state it is "stuck" there until resize: I get no "update" event), while in a normal situation (and also after resize) I get normal events on "update" as well.

I have written in the "issue" section of this community website this problem, but since last ticket did not have any answer (almost a month old.. ) I am not sure it will be useful...

PS: I also would like to note that (ironically ?!) in PBI Desktop the behavior is reversed (on resize, I get the wrong data!).

marco6
Frequent Visitor

One last note: with the new update of PBI Desktop, the offline behavior matches the online one.

Meanwhile, the related issue has been accepted.

Thank you for you support,

Marco

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.