Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tenenwurcel
Regular Visitor

Doubt about setting up Power BI Embedded V2

Hello everyone,

I have an application running the version 1 of the Power BI Embedded (workspace collections in the Azure portal), and now I want to migrate to the version 2 (I don't need to migrate the content just need help setting the version 2 up).

I am having a really hard time setting up the Power BI Embedded in the Azure Portal.

I have created a Power BI Embedded Service in the azure portal, and I already have my workspace setted up in my Power BI Pro Account (it was setted before I created the service).

So I have a few doubts about this service.

1 - How do I upload my existing report (or workspace) into the Power BI Embedded service ?

1.2 -  Should the workspace have been created before the Power BI Embedded service?

2 -  How do I know that the report was uploaded into the service?

3 - How do I get the report id?

4 - How do I get the embed token?

Thank you very much,

Henrique.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@tenenwurcel wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have an application running the version 1 of the Power BI Embedded (workspace collections in the Azure portal), and now I want to migrate to the version 2 (I don't need to migrate the content just need help setting the version 2 up).

I am having a really hard time setting up the Power BI Embedded in the Azure Portal.

I have created a Power BI Embedded Service in the azure portal, and I already have my workspace setted up in my Power BI Pro Account (it was setted before I created the service).

1 - How do I upload my existing report (or workspace) into the Power BI Embedded service ?

1.2 -  Should the workspace have been created before the Power BI Embedded service?

Thank you very much,

Henrique.

@tenenwurcel

Based on my research, the new Power BI Embedded is now a capacity, which is pretty different from the old PBI workspace collections. To utilize the new Power BI Embedded, you don't upload any pbix as before. What to do is

1. Create a report in Power BI desktop.
  2. Publish the report to one workspace in Power BI Service.
  3. Grant capacity to the workspace. See Manage capacities within Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded

Since the report is actually published to Power BI Service, so now you can use the Power BI REST APIs. You could also reference the App Owns Data sample.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jamesyoung
Frequent Visitor

You create a user for this purpose and load the reports into that users workspaces.  That user must be setup ahead of time with the Embedded Power BI and in the Azure Domain.

1.2 - Should the workspace have been created before the Power BI Embedded service?

It does not matter when you create the workspaces.

2 - How do I know that the report was uploaded into the service?

Not applicable.  You can login as that serice account user and see the reports using the Power Bi Portal

3 - How do I get the report id? 4 - How do I get the embed token?

Report ID - 2 ways to get the report ID.  Restful API or click on a report and you will see the report GUID in the URL path.

Embed Token - You will need to read this article on the Power BI setup and samples on how to get the Power BI Token.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-get-azuread-access-token/

The report token is available through a restful API call or using the C# wrapper.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt784614.aspx

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@tenenwurcel wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much,

Henrique.

@tenenwurcel

Based on my research, the new Power BI Embedded is now a capacity, which is pretty different from the old PBI workspace collections. To utilize the new Power BI Embedded, you don't upload any pbix as before. What to do is

1. Create a report in Power BI desktop.
  2. Publish the report to one workspace in Power BI Service.
  3. Grant capacity to the workspace. See Manage capacities within Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded

Since the report is actually published to Power BI Service, so now you can use the Power BI REST APIs. You could also reference the App Owns Data sample.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.