Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datarefresh between Power Bi desktop file and service

Hi team,

I have done a small POC pn Power Bi desktop. Let me give a quick background on what i did.

Using Power Bi desktop, i have connected to sharepoint online list and imported data from two lists. Then using Merge query, i did a internal join and stored the consolidated data into new dataset and published it to Power Bi online service.And i scheduled a data refresh on daily basis.

Here, my set of queries come.

When we say data refresh, is it between the power Bi data set that is created using desktop and power bi service, or when i do some update on sharepoint lists , will it automatically get reflected in my Online reports. Please confirm.

To test this functionality, i deleted few records in my sharepoint list. Then i refreshed my dataset in power bi desktop. Then i opened my Power Bi online and refreh the reports . And, it got reflected with the new data.

So what i understand is, this schedule refresh is bound to happen between the Power Bi desktop dataset and power bi online, and no where linked to the data in sharepoint online. so, if we want to get the latest data from sharepoint online, i should trigger a manual refresh in power bi desktop, which in turn triggers a schedule refresh or refresh now on power bi online to get the data reflected. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sivapratap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

When we say data refresh, is it between the power Bi data set that is created using desktop and power bi service, or when i do some update on sharepoint lists , will it automatically get reflected in my Online reports. Please confirm.

If you do some update on sharepoint lists , it will automatically get reflected in your Online reports, usually within about an hour.

So what i understand is, this schedule refresh is bound to happen between the Power Bi desktop dataset and power bi online, and no where linked to the data in sharepoint online.

No, there're no interactions between data refresh on Power BI Desktop and data refresh on Power BI online. When a data refresh happens(no matter on Desktop or online), it uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources(your SharePoint Lists in this scenario) to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. 

For more details, please refer to Data refresh in Power BI.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If you do some update on sharepoint lists , it will automatically get reflected in your Online reports, usually within about an hour.

So what i understand is, this schedule refresh is bound to happen between the Power Bi desktop dataset and power bi online, and no where linked to the data in sharepoint online.

No, there're no interactions between data refresh on Power BI Desktop and data refresh on Power BI online. When a data refresh happens(no matter on Desktop or online), it uses information in the dataset to connect directly to the data sources(your SharePoint Lists in this scenario) to query for updated data it then loads into the dataset. 

For more details, please refer to Data refresh in Power BI.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.