Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom authentication on portal with embedded reports

I am about to create a new web portal for my employer. Our data is sensitive and is stored on premise in an SQL Server.

Today we are using Sharepoint and SSRS (Sharepoint mode). Authentication is handled by smart cards and client certificate. Once the user is logged in, it uses a system account (in Sharepoint) and the user is basically anonymous. A user specific token is fetched (server side ASP.Net) by Sharepoint once the user logged in and is appended to the links to the reports as a query parameter. When the user views a report the token is used as an argument to a stored procedures which determines what content the user gets to see in the report.

What we want

The portal will be an ASP.Net Core application with Angular on the front end and I will embed reports from our on premise PBI Report Server using an iframe.

The requirement is, as is today, that the users should be authenticated with smart cards with the help of client certificates. This is not an issue on the portal side with custom authentication and a custom users table in our database. My concern is when the user wants to view an embedded (iframe) report.

One alternative is as what we have today, the user is anonymous, ie all users in PBI Report Server sees everything. And we use query parameters to filter data in the reports. This is very easily hacked just by looking in the source code of the page. Changing the query parameter reveals all information. additionally the filter pane the the right is populated by the filter and easily manipulated. An what I believe is that you cannot hide the filter pane.

The best alternative would be to create a custom authentication module for the PBI RS which we could pass some object/token/whatever from the portal to ensure who the user is. If this was possible I could begin to use Row Level Security, right?

Is this possible? What would your suggestion be? How would I do this? How do I map the user from the portal to a user in PBI RS?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are facing same issue. Please reply back if any one solved/achieved.

We are using Power BI report server Sept-2021 and custome authentication 2017 reporting Services.

UI application embeded into angular application 

Really appreciate

Thanks,

Suresh 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Embedding the Power BI content directly might be more appropriate.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft how do you mean by embed content directly? Instead of using an iframe? I thought that was only supported when content is on PBI service and not on premise Report Server!?

@Anonymous,

I just meant to bypass Power BI Report Server.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bypass meaning serving data from Power BI service into our portal?

Our data is and will not be on the Power BI service since it is sensitive data about patients.

So to reiterate the question. How do I combine custom authentication on the portal with authentication on the PBI Report Server? The goal is to be able to use row level security, or at least let the user get access to the reports somehow.

@Anonymous,

To better support your particular development requirements, you may create a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not a paying Pro user yet. And it seems like I need to be in order to create a support ticket!?

Am I right when saying that I as a report developer needs Pro licens to be able to publish reports to our PBI Report Server?

@Anonymous,

Yes. A Power BI Pro license is required to publish content to Power BI Report Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors