Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cipherbear

Custom Visual Data Question

Hey Guys,

I need to write a custom visualization for PowerBI, I understand that the main visualization is written in TypeScript, but I am more concerned with how the data is actually converted once you load it in to powerbi. I need to know what it is parsed in, XML, or JSON for example, so that I know how to work with it when writing my visualization. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

You may have a look at my slideshare on Creating Custom Visuals with Power BI Visuals  CLI  [jump to slide 21...].

https://www.slideshare.net/DenysChamberland/creating-custom-visuals-with-power-bi-visuals-cli

In Power BI you can provide data in many format such as Excel, csv, sql query, json, ... but I'd say the main key to understand when creating a new pbi visual component is to understand how to map and convert those datas. For example, in case of liquidFillChart or Thermometer, you only need to pass a single value, so you'll use DataView Single pattern. In another case such as Sunburstchart, you may need a more elaborate pattern like DataView Matrix pattern.  That is done through DataRole and DataView parameters in capabilities.json and then provide a converter function either in visual.ts or in converter utility interface. Hope this helps 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

You may have a look at my slideshare on Creating Custom Visuals with Power BI Visuals  CLI  [jump to slide 21...].

https://www.slideshare.net/DenysChamberland/creating-custom-visuals-with-power-bi-visuals-cli

In Power BI you can provide data in many format such as Excel, csv, sql query, json, ... but I'd say the main key to understand when creating a new pbi visual component is to understand how to map and convert those datas. For example, in case of liquidFillChart or Thermometer, you only need to pass a single value, so you'll use DataView Single pattern. In another case such as Sunburstchart, you may need a more elaborate pattern like DataView Matrix pattern.  That is done through DataRole and DataView parameters in capabilities.json and then provide a converter function either in visual.ts or in converter utility interface. Hope this helps 

cipherbear

Hey Guys,

I need to write a custom visualization for PowerBI, I understand that the main visualization is written in TypeScript, but I am more concerned with how the data is actually converted once you load it in to powerbi. I need to know what it is parsed in, XML, or JSON for example, so that I know how to work with it when writing my visualization. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.