Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ltuttini

Custom Autentication Provider - Access Token from a databse

Hi

I need integrate Power BI with a custom autentication provider connected with a application database, I don't want to use Active Directory.

The application define user and roles in a database and Power BI need to autenticate with it.

Is possible use custom provider to autenticate with a database ?

I can see this article

Step 2: Get an authentication access token

but the token is got from AD and I need to get it from database

regards

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ltuttini wrote:

Hi

I need integrate Power BI with a custom autentication provider connected with a application database, I don't want to use Active Directory.

The application define user and roles in a database and Power BI need to autenticate with it.

Is possible use custom provider to autenticate with a database ?

I can see this article

Step 2: Get an authentication access token

but the token is got from AD and I need to get it from database

regards

@ltuttini

The answer can be simply NO. Power BI service is Azure based and using ADD authentication. According to your description, maybe you're looking for Row Level Security.

hi

thanks for your answer

I could see the RLS as a posible solution, but I not sure how can I define the token url where Power BI makes the request and receive the JWT

I can see

PowerBI-CSharp

it show me how generate the token but not how configure it in the tool

regards

@ltuttini

What would you like to do with the token? The token usually can be used to embed a report. If you'd like to use RLS only, you have to set the roles in desktop and Power BI Service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.