Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

QQ
Frequent Visitor

Create a survey in Power BI

Hi, 

Got a question from a co-worker whether we can use Power BI to collect survey data. I would like to say 'no' to make my life easier and also I do not think that would be Power BI's strength. However I remember the 'Just for fun' winner of 2017 MS data challenge, created by Kane O'Donnell. That Power BI report captures what people choose and show in the visual right away. 

If anyone knows or have any guess on how Kane's report was developed, would you please help to give a brief description on it? Very curious how can the data model take in data.

Thank you so much!

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If I had to guess, there is a custom visual involved there that is presenting the word clouds and keeping track of your score. That means some pretty heavy coding. 

This is not the use case for Power BI, I would look at Microsoft Forms.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks a lot smoupre!

Sorry for my late reponse! Stuck in some urgent stuff since then.

I am about to learn on developing custom visuals. However my coding experiences have been limited to VBA coding. Would you please suggest some starting material/tutorial so I can start learning?

Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.