Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeff_973
Frequent Visitor

Create a new report from an existing data set in Power BI

Currently, we are only able to create a new report from an existing dataset via the javascript API.  Will a REST API endpoint be available in the feature to create a new report from an existing dataset?

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Jeff_973 wrote:

Currently, we are only able to create a new report from an existing dataset via the javascript API.  Will a REST API endpoint be available in the feature to create a new report from an existing dataset?

@Jeff_973

What do you mean a "REST API endpoint"? Currently, besides the Javascript API, you can also Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop.

I am referring to the "Power BI Rest APIs" (here - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt147898.aspx) and I was wondering if they will be adding a new endpoint to support creating a report from an existing data-set . We are developing a web application for our client's that utilizes the PBI embedding. From our website our users can create reports from an existing data set. 

HOW: The user selects an available data-set, I call the PBI service for a Create Access Token, I use the java script api to embed the new report and call the save as function.  The save as function returns the new report guid; I then persist the information about the new report to our database, then I request an edit token from the PBI service and embed the report for editing.   I would like to do this all on the server-side hence my original question. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.