Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nirajdubey
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting cubes with large datasets to Power BI

I am facing problem when connecting cubes with large datasets to Power BI, through Power BI Desktop. The smallest cube I want to connect is based on fact table having 5 Million rows. It gives me a timeout expired error, error text is "The XML for Analysis Services Request time out before it was completed". I have installed Power BI Desktop on the same machine on which SSAS is installed. However I have tried with some smaller cubes and they are okay. Somehow I was able to connect a cube with 5 million rows, but I had to leave some of dimensions which were having large number of records.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you using DirectQuery or are you importing all of the data into Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

we are importing all data, as coonect live is not supported for SSAS 2008.

@nirajdubey Be aware that if you are able to load the data into the Desktop there is a PBIX file size limitation and you cannot  exceed 250mb. In which case, you wouldn't be able to publish the file to the Service for dashboards and sharing..

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

For pre-built SSAS cubes that work with dozens of different, enterprise applications for IT, check out https://northcraftanalytics.com.  Then, you'll be able to query Terabytes of data quickly without being constrained by client-side memory limits.  All of Northcraft's solutions are built on the Microsoft BI stack.  The YouTube channel shows many different examples as well - https://youtube.com/user/northcraftanalytics

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.