Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stevenamani
Advocate II
Advocate II

Code Hanging on Acquire Token

I am attempting to acquire a token from AzureAD in a native app and while this works fine on a number of computers, I have one where the application just hangs. Here is the code:

public async Task<string> GetTokenAAD()

{

//example https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/get-azuread-access-token

var credential = new UserPasswordCredential(this.userName, this.password);

var authenticationContext = new AuthenticationContext(Properties.Settings.Default.AADAUTH_URL);

authenticationResult = await authenticationContext.AcquireTokenAsync(resourceUrl, this.clientID, credential); //code hangs here

if (authenticationResult != null)

{

return authenticationResult.AccessToken;

}

return string.Empty;

}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out the issue was unrelated to PowerBI or Azure AD. The function was being called from a non-async function and I resolved it by adding ConfigureAwait(True) to the AcquiteTokenAsync call.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Could you please explain a bit for " application just hangs" ?

If it hangs in Windows, there should be application log generated for this event, please take a check under Event Viewer and see if any specific error message logged.

Further, for Windows Application hang, please check:

Extracting Information from Crash and Hang Dumps

Regards,

Michael

Turns out the issue was unrelated to PowerBI or Azure AD. The function was being called from a non-async function and I resolved it by adding ConfigureAwait(True) to the AcquiteTokenAsync call.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.