Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bkundrat
Frequent Visitor

Azure Analysis Services Accessing On-Premise Data

I'm trying to POC the use of Azure AS using data from an on-premise SQL Server DB. To that end, I have an Azure AS instance created and have also installed the Azure AS Gateway on a VM on-prem. I then created a simple tabular project in Visual Studio with data from a table located in an on-premise database.

When I attempt to deploy the VS project to the Azure AS instance, the tabular metadata is deployed but I receive the following error when the data is being processed from the on-prem SQL Server DB:

Cannot process database. Reason: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An error occurred during On-Premise Gateway related activity. Additional error details: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError
Received error payload from gateway service with ID 1297307: Error creating OLE DB row set..
Error creating OLE DB row set.
Class not registered

When I look at the trace logs on the machine where I have the AS Gateway installed I see the following error as well:

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2017-07-08T13:53:50.3245629Z DM.EnterpriseGateway    63ddf33a-3bdc-4ff8-aff1-76c8934f4ec6    b99d3f14-c0f4-4830-b799-188b5095da4a    MGON    b99d3f14-c0f4-4830-b799-188b5095da4a    6817BDD9 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Non-gateway exception encountered in activity scope: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.OleDbBase.IDataInitializeExtensions.GetDataSource[T](IDataInitialize dataInitialize, CLSCTX clsCtx, String initializationString, Guid riid)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ConnectionStrings.OleDbFullConnectionString.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<InitializeDataSourceConnection>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.ExecuteInActivity[T](PipelineActivityType pipelineActivityType, Func`1 action)

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this? It appears to be an issue with the GW connecting to the on-premise database but I'm sure why. I have the Azure Gateway service configure to log on as a domain admin account so it shouldn't be a rights issue.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob K.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bkundrat
Frequent Visitor

The problem has been fixed so I thought I'd post an update. It turns out I didn't have the correct driver (SQL Server Native Client 11.0) installed on the gateway machine. This fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bkundrat
Frequent Visitor

The problem has been fixed so I thought I'd post an update. It turns out I didn't have the correct driver (SQL Server Native Client 11.0) installed on the gateway machine. This fixed the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.