Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jmcgrath
Frequent Visitor

Azure AD B2C with Power BI embed

Will Azure AD B2C work to authenticate users for Power BI embedded.  Will I be able to get the proepr token?

10 REPLIES 10
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Necro posting here because this page ranks high in search engines. AAD B2C is not supported by Power BI Embedded and support for this is not planned:

https://feedback.azure.com/d365community/idea/9819f8ec-b225-ec11-b6e6-000d3a4f0789

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Hi @otravers 

The link you provided not working. could you please provide the correct one that would be helpfull for us.

Thanks in advance

Microsoft loves to break their ideas forums. I updated the link.

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
u02cm62
Helper V
Helper V

Is there any update to this that's more recent?  Is Azure B2C supported?  I can't seem to find any info on this especially newer posts as this stuff changes so fast.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I am trying to use same authentication process B2C for authenticating the users using single master account.

Can you please let me know how to get the username from Azure B2C and to apply the RLS i will need the user names before hand then only i would able to apply rules on it hwo to get that. 

Thanks,

Pankaj

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Jmcgrath wrote:

Will Azure AD B2C work to authenticate users for Power BI embedded.  Will I be able to get the proepr token?

As per the online FAQ documentation, it seems possible.

Can I use Azure AD B2C features in my existing, employee-based Azure AD tenant?

Azure AD and Azure AD B2C are separate product offerings and cannot coexist in the same tenant. An Azure AD tenant represents an organization. An Azure AD B2C tenant represents a collection of identities to be used with relying party applications. With custom policies (in public preview), Azure AD B2C can federate to Azure AD allowing authentication of employees in an organization.

My understanding is that Azure AD B2C can cowork with AAD( not Power BI specific, but also work with other AAD based Microsoft online services.). As to further questions, I'd suggest you post in the dedicated Azure AD B2C MSDN forum or Get help on Stack Overflow by using the azure-ad-b2c tag.

I am thinking that I will need to use AD B2C to authenitcate clients into app then AD in authenicate into organization as AD will allow access to our power bi, B2C is a collection of identities to be used with relying party applications and not into organization .  Consequently AD B2C doesnt deal with power bi permissions and users will need to be identities within AD w/ power bi permissions.  I will look into integration between the two.  Thanks for the help.

My application will pass into Azure AD ths single master account with power bi access then I can use the username from Azure B2C for RLS using GenerateToken

Can you please share how you implemented this with a code sample? 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Great question, adding myself to the thread in case anyone answers.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.