Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gracie
Helper II
Helper II

API filter function in web app filters data before the whole dataset loads or after ?

Hello,

I want to use API to load power bi dashboards to my web application. I need to use filter to show different report to different visitors. Since my whole dataset is very big, I don't wanna load the whole dataset in the application. I am wondering if the filter function filters the original dataset and then load to web applicaiton?? Or it loads the whole dataset first then do the filter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Gracie wrote:

Hello,

I want to use API to load power bi dashboards to my web application. I need to use filter to show different report to different visitors. Since my whole dataset is very big, I don't wanna load the whole dataset in the application. I am wondering if the filter function filters the original dataset and then load to web applicaiton?? Or it loads the whole dataset first then do the filter?

@Gracie

I don't think it would load the whole dataset, eg, you have a dataset as huge as 1GB, however when rendering the report, it only loads the data aggregated in the report visuals, the tranferred data size shall be much more more less than 1GB.

Based on my understanding, when applying filters, it is actually the Javascript APIs that send some request, then data is queried and filtered at server end and then response with filtered data. So most probably you would get the similar performance when rendering an embedded report with filters comparing to playing filters in the same report in Power BI Service.

As to different users seeing the report with individual data, you may check Row Level Security.

Regarding how to use the Javascript API to filter reports, you can check Filters.

By the way, have you ever got any actual performance issue when applying a filter?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Gracie wrote:

Hello,

@Gracie

I don't think it would load the whole dataset, eg, you have a dataset as huge as 1GB, however when rendering the report, it only loads the data aggregated in the report visuals, the tranferred data size shall be much more more less than 1GB.

Based on my understanding, when applying filters, it is actually the Javascript APIs that send some request, then data is queried and filtered at server end and then response with filtered data. So most probably you would get the similar performance when rendering an embedded report with filters comparing to playing filters in the same report in Power BI Service.

As to different users seeing the report with individual data, you may check Row Level Security.

Regarding how to use the Javascript API to filter reports, you can check Filters.

By the way, have you ever got any actual performance issue when applying a filter?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.