Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

naj
Helper I
Helper I

API change Analysis Services database in gataway data sources

Hi!

I'm trying programmatically change/update database in an Analysis Services Gateway data source - is there any way to do so?

I trying to to

1. publish an PBIX file (with data source on premise Analysis Services database through Gateway)

2. Remap the data source to a different database on same on premise server

Is this possible in Power BI API?

Or is it programmatically possible to change data source database in PBIX file before publishing it?

Any automated solution/workaround is appreciated 🙂

Kind regards,

NAJ

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@naj wrote:

Hi!

I'm trying programmatically change/update database in an Analysis Services Gateway data source - is there any way to do so?

I trying to to

1. publish an PBIX file (with data source on premise Analysis Services database through Gateway)

2. Remap the data source to a different database on same on premise server

Is this possible in Power BI API?

Or is it programmatically possible to change data source database in PBIX file before publishing it?

Any automated solution/workaround is appreciated 🙂

Kind regards,

NAJ

@naj

The datasource in gateway is configured according to the SSAS dataset connection string. So I guess you're requesting to change the connection string(contains server, database info) for the dataset, right? There's an REST API Set All Connections that can change the connection string , however it only supports DirectQuery dataset. And based on my test, SSAS live connection string is not treated as DirectQuery mode. So I'm that your request is to an dead end.

By the way, for the gateway REST API operations demo, you could reference this Knowledge base.

thank you for the reply Eric,

yes, i'm trying/requesting to programmatically change/update the connection string (server/database) of an SSAS On-prem live dataset/source. And/or remap a dataset to a different SSAS On-prem live source.

I have already tried most of the Gateway API functions (created new datasource , set all connections, etc.) - without any luck. 

Above request seems to be a limitation of the current REST API?

Kind regards,

NAJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever find a work around for this?

Thanks, Shilpi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.