Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

will bar chart columns be able to initiate an action when clicked?

Hi I just put my first clustered column chart up.  I like the hover over, data labels etc.  Looking ahead, is there a way to make a column actionable?  ie be able to click any one column to get the containing frame to show a different chart based on the filter now implied by the column that was clicked? 

17 REPLIES 17
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@db042190

Please check that if drillthrough feature meets your requirement. Once your drillthrough page is complete, when you click one column in the clustered column chart and select Drillthrough, you will be taken to the Drillthrough page and you can view the chart in the page. There is an example for your reference.

1.JPG2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thx Lydia.  I inserted a new visual on the same page and on a different page.  But in neither case did i see any filters other than visual level, page level, report level.  At first the new visual was again a clustered column chart.  But even after i changed it to a pie i dont see drill thru filters in the visualization column.  Am i on an older version of pbi perhaps?

But the real question here is can the original column chart drill thru to itself for example to the employee whose bar is clicked?

@db042190,

Please make sure you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.51.4885.581), drill through feature can only work in different report pages.

Does drill down feature in bar chart  meet your requirement?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

i'm definitely on the wrong version for drill thru.  I'm on 2.48.4792.481 64-bit.  Do you happen to know what version i need for drill down?  Drill down looks promising but i cant tell from the article if u can click one bar in drill down and get just that bar's data in next rendering.   And i still need to build my hierarchy.

@db042190,

You are able to use drill down in your current Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

yes.  Behavior is a little odd though.  If i start drilling down immediately from our president, my x axis labels are stacked showing the path (all names) down to the person whose bar is above that stack of names.  If i use  the double arrow first for his direct reports and then start drilling down, names are no longer stacked.  Is there a way to turn off the stacked path of names? 

@db042190,

Turn off concatenate labels in the following screenshot and check if you get expected result. If not, please post screenshot to describe your scenario.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

that's interesting.  Now it does one stack (one name per line, no scroll bar) middle bottom showing the path you took if your first action is drill down and then you continue drill down.  But still seems ok if the first click is on the double down arrows and then you start drilling down.  This stack is easier to read but it has one big problem.  It slowly steals space away from the visual with each level of drill down.  We have 12 levels of employee.  My data is proprietary so i'll need to try to figure out a way to post an image anonymously.   

@db042190,

You can post dummy data of your source and provide us details about how you create the chart and what is your expected result.

Regards,
Lydia

the first image below is what i see when my first action down to my last action is drill down.  The 2nd image is what i see if my first action is double arrows down and then drill down thereafter.  These are both with concat labels turned off.

drill down all the way from the topdrill down all the way from the topdouble arrow down and then drill down thereafterdouble arrow down and then drill down thereafter

@db042190,

Could you please post expected result in screenshot?

Regards,
Lydia

Thx Lydia.  a viable explanation for my users why they have to click double down arrows first to avoid concatenation is my first expectation.  If there is no good explanation my expectation would be if concat is off (which it is) that it be off even if user starts off by drilling down, ie image 2 above. 

@db042190,

I am not clear about your requirement. When you use the second drill down option as shown in the following screenshot, it will only show current hierarchy level. 
1.JPG

When you use the third drill down option, different hierarchy levels will show as follows with Concatenate labels off, it is not possible to exclude top hierarchy levels when using this drill down option.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

thx, if we use the 2nd option initially, and thereafter we use the 3rd, everything is fine.  If we start using the 3rd option and continue using the 3rd option we get concatenation eventhough concat is turned off.  Is that by design?  I'm hoping there is an explanation for this.  Is it a bug in the version we are running?  We will be upgrading soon.

@db042190 ,

What is the version of your Power BI Desktop? I am not able to reproduce your issue in the latest version of Power BI Desktop (2.51.4885.701).

Regards,

Lydia

I'm on 2.48.4792.481 64-bit.

@db042190,

Please upgrade to the latest version of Power BI Desktop and then check the issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.