Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wskallmeyer
Advocate II
Advocate II

use dax to set parameter value

I would like to create a parameter and set the value to the username value.  Is that possible?  Or is their alternative work around?

Ultimately I want to filter several queries with my Power BI desktop file based on the user's username.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wskallmeyer,

We upload Power BI report to Report server now. And we can view this Power BI report on Report Manager directly. Please refer to the link below. There are some limitation on it currently, you can only use on-premise SSAS database as the Power BI report datasoure.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/power-bi-reports-in-reporting-services

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ramchander
Frequent Visitor

Ultimately I want to filter several queries with my Power BI desktop file based on the user's username.

I am also trying to solve the same issue. Did you find any workarounds? 

Does this work with Oracle database?? Please share your finding.

Thanks,

Ram

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@wskallmeyer,

We can take advantage of the DAX function username() within your dataset. We can use it within expressions in Power BI Desktop. When we publish your model, it will be used within the Power BI service. Within Power BI Desktop, username() will return a user in the format of DOMAIN\User. Within the Power BI service, username() will return the user's User Principal Name (UPN). This looks similar to an email address.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

We will using Power BI Desktop an a stand alone file until SSRS is ready to host them. 

@wskallmeyer,

We upload Power BI report to Report server now. And we can view this Power BI report on Report Manager directly. Please refer to the link below. There are some limitation on it currently, you can only use on-premise SSAS database as the Power BI report datasoure.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/power-bi-reports-in-reporting-services

Regards,

Charlie Liao

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

how are the users accessing this via the desktop or via the power bi service?  I personally dont know of a way to grab the username of a user dynamically in the desktop, but if you using the power bi service you can use row level security 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.