Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jallison
Regular Visitor

roles

I can create roles and use DAX to limit rows, I can validate roles, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to assign those roles to groups or individuals. What am I missing?  thanks  Jim

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @jallison,

The RLS only works on read-only member, please check this setting if it has setting to allow member to edit.

Using RLS with app workspaces in Power BI

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to an app workspace within the Power BI service, the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the app workspace settings.

Reference link:
Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, but that link from Adam Saxton says to click on SECURITY for a Dataset. Doing so does NOT get me what Adam has shown should happen.

How does one assing Users to Roles for a Power BI Model/Dataset that has RLS Roles built into it?

I'm with you @jallison, FRUSTRATED.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@jallison  where are you trying to assign the roles to users in the desktop?  if you using dynamic rls check out this

http://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

otherwise see this (bottom of page)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

I am trying to assign roles in the service. i looked at the bottom link and it appeared that the roles were assigned to people (or groups?) in the service/dataset area. The presenter got to the RLS page by cliking on elipses next top the dataset name, but when I view datasets in the PBI service I don't see any elipses. I don't know how to get to the RLS page.

I don't see this:

Capture.JPG

@jallison are you an admin in power bi?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Yes I am a PowerBI admin. Should I be looking under the gear icon?

Making Progress. I could not see the elipses because I did not have my window wide enough. The elipses get truncated when the window is not suitabley wide. So having found the elipses next to a dataset I cliced it and chose security. I got a message saying security had moved to the desktop version of PowerBI. There was a link taking me to information about roles in PowerBI. The info on the link says that to assign roles to users you have to go to the PowerBI service. This is the first time I have ever seen an endless help loop. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.