Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Norbertus
Helper V
Helper V

related fields from SQL table that are not part of datamodel

Hi,

My datasource is a one SQL table. But i'm wondering that i can select the related fields from other tables in de Query Editor

How is it possible that PowerBi knows the relationship between tables that i didn't loaded in my datamodel?

Normily i have to select both tables and give a the keys between them.

greetings, Norbertus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Norbertus,

"SELECT RELATED TABLES" is a new feature after September 2015 version. When you click this button, Power BI Desktop will automatically select all tables that have a direct relationship to one or more of the already selected tables.

>>After selecting I see that the tables i mentioned before are part of the datasource.

The Navigator screen size is limit,  it can not show all the data in tables. It doesn't matter, you can get all the data in database when you click "OK".

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Norbertus,

If you load get data from SQL server database in import model, you only can import the table except the relationship. It is impossible that PowerBi knows the relationship. You need to create the relationship in Power BI desktop after loading the table.  

If you load the table in DirectQuery Model, no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop. The selected tables and columns appear in the Fields list. As you create or interact with a visualization, Power BI Desktop queries date directly from the SQL Server database. But there are some limitions in Direct Model.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi,

I know for sure that i only load one table from a SQL database and PowerBI gives me the suggestion to expand related tables.

At this moment I see the possibility in the Navigator for the datasource "SELECT RELATED TABLES". After selecting I see that the tables i mentioned before are part of the datasource.

How is this possible?

Hi @Norbertus,

"SELECT RELATED TABLES" is a new feature after September 2015 version. When you click this button, Power BI Desktop will automatically select all tables that have a direct relationship to one or more of the already selected tables.

>>After selecting I see that the tables i mentioned before are part of the datasource.

The Navigator screen size is limit,  it can not show all the data in tables. It doesn't matter, you can get all the data in database when you click "OK".

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.