Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dprint

power bi desktop won't launch in windows 10

Hello Team,

When I try to launch Power BI in WIndows 10, I get the following error message:

Unexpected Error

Could not load file or assembly

'Microsoft.SqlServer.MgdSqlDumper.dll' or one of its dependencies.
The referenced assembly is not installed on your system, (Exception
from HRESULT: Ox800736B3)

I've searched everywthere I know for a fix, but can't can't find anything. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,  Dennis D

7 REPLIES 7
WBrett12

I am also having this issue. Uninstalling, restarting, and re-installing did not fix the issue.  Help?

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2019-08-27T20:19:01.3649904Z

Local Time:
2019-08-27T15:19:01.3649904-05:00

Session ID:
39780bba-e838-4523-be6c-0fe12af819ff

Release:
August 2019

Product Version:
2.72.5556.801 (19.08) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Globals.InitServer(Boolean resetAllPerfCounters)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.Initialize(RSConfigurationManager rsConfigMgr, RunningApplication app, IFeatureSwitchesProxy featureSwitchesProxy)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient..ctor(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, IFeatureSwitchesProxy featureSwitchesProxy, Boolean initReportProcessingHost, IDataShapeEngine dataShapeEngine, IQueryCancellationManager cancelManager)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.16299.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461308]

Peak Virtual Memory:
33.3 GB

Private Memory:
143 MB

Peak Working Set:
218 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
d2ba5811-5d26-4336-9676-473673418b9e

Workbook Package Info:
None

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

HI,

I had similar issue. sreached for atleast 2-3 hours and then realized that my windows was 32bit and i was installing x64. downloaded x32 version and now its working.

Moreover, while installing select "run ad administrator"

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @dprint

I don't think it's a Windows 10 issue otherwise we would hear more about it.  My machine and my org has many instances of Power BI desktop running on Windows 10.

Have you tried re-installing?  Are you installing the 32bit or 64bit version?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil,

Thought I replied to your post but apparently not as I can't find it. My apologizies. Thanks for responding so promptly. Am running 64 bit. Uninstalled and reinstalled at  least 5 times, the lalast time being just before I posted here.

Oddly enough, I was able to install Power Bi on two other machines in Windows 10 with no problem. Unforuntately the machine I can't get it to install on is my main working machine. All machiness have the free Windows 10 upgrade from pre-intalled earlier versions, either Windows 7 or 8.

Dennis D.

@dprint wrote:

Hi Phil,

Thought I replied to your post but apparently not as I can't find it. My apologizies. Thanks for responding so promptly. Am running 64 bit. Uninstalled and reinstalled at  least 5 times, the lalast time being just before I posted here.

Oddly enough, I was able to install Power Bi on two other machines in Windows 10 with no problem. Unforuntately the machine I can't get it to install on is my main working machine. All machiness have the free Windows 10 upgrade from pre-intalled earlier versions, either Windows 7 or 8.

Dennis D.

@dprint wrote:

Hi Phil,

Dennis D.

@dprint

Based on my test, for 64bit Power BI desktop, by default that dll shall be installed in the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin". Ideally the installation shall be fine, have you launched the installer package by "run as administrator"? As Power BI Desktop was always partially installed, I'd doubt it might be some access insufficient problem, you might check this with your system adminsitrator.

Anyway, you could try to copy the missing dlls from the same path from other machines where Power BI desktop can be installed. Or instead of installer, you can try to cope the whole installed folder from other machines to that machine.

Tried copying from one machine to the other. Still getting same error message.

Hi Guys,

I'm facing exactly the same issue on Windows 7 SP1. Several reinstalation and copy of .dll form another computer didn't help either. 

Do you have any other advise how to fix this? 

Regards

Kasia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.