Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

power_bozo
Regular Visitor

power bi desktop can't connect remotely

I'm gradually coming to the realization that Power BI Desktop only works if being used on site, or with a VPN remotely.

I would really like to use Power BI Desktop without using the VPN. I can't believe this is the only way to connect. Am I doing something wrong?

I had thought that the whole point of installing the Power BI bridge on the Windows SQL Server on site was to give remote Power BI Desktop instances, and the Web interface, a way of connecting to the data source seamlessly.

But while the Web Interface works fine, Power BI Desktop does not work unless on site or using VPN.

Not only that, but it seems that, if I start it up remotely and do not have the VPN running, there is no way to "refresh" the connection. After starting up the VPN, I have to close and reopen Power BI Desktop for it to start working again.

2 REPLIES 2
power_bozo
Regular Visitor

Anyone? Must I do one of the following: be inside the local network or use a VPN?

I thought the on premises gateway was supposed to allow remote connection (without VPN).

Hi @power_bozo,

Must I do one of the following: be inside the local network or use a VPN?

Yes, Power BI Desktop requires the machine you've got Power BI Desktop installed is able to talk to your SQL Server to work correctly. So being inside the local network or using a VPN is needed in this scenario.

I thought the on premises gateway was supposed to allow remote connection (without VPN).

No, the on-premises data gateway only acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that is not in the cloud) and the Power BI Service, not Power BI Desktop.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.