Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to set a current date Today() selected option in the slicers and filters

Hello,

I am using Date slicer with the between. check the following image.

Capture.PNG

but I want the current date (Today()) when I open the Power BI report.

I am not able to find any option for the same, please help me.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
turkeyhill
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Add a page or report level filter using the date value and choose the Relative date filtering as the filter Type. Then you can select the whatever length against the current date by check the 'Include today'. For example, if you select 'is in the last 1 day' and include today, your date slicer will only show the date of Today. But the shortage of this method is you have to adjust this report filter to expand the date range when you need longer time range. Other wise the data will be limited to the date range you set by default for the whole page or report.

Hopefully it can help. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

You could look at my blog post below, in which further down I explain how I create a column in my Date table which will always have one row for the current day.

Then you can put this into a slicer, and as long as your Power BI dataset is being refreshed once a day, it will then show the value for Today as selected in your slicer.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/10/03/power-bi-did-you-know-all-power-bi-services-servers-are-in-utc-now-how-to-handle-it-for-dates-times/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

TobiasF
Frequent Visitor

If I understand you correctly you want the date slicer to automatically be set. ie it's default behaviour upon report load
to be set to Today() ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello @TobiasF
no when I do filter between dates and then close the BI and again it will open in same state I want getdate.

thanks

@Anonymous,

Do you mean that after you select a date range in date slicer and close PBIX file, the end date of the date range will be reset to today's date if you  open PBIX file again? If so, the requirement can't be achevied in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msftyes corrcet that's I am looking for...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you can find your answer in the following similar thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Setting-the-Default-Value-of-a-Slicer/m-p/16442

Good luck,

L.Meijdam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Meijdam,

thanks for the reply.

but this not my solution because the give thread is for the current month and diffent scenario.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.