Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jockefe
Helper II
Helper II

format string percent does not work in power bi

I have a SSAS Olap cube with a calculated measure

CREATE MEMBER CURRENTCUBE.[Measures].[percent test] AS
1/2
,VISIBLE = 1
,FORMAT_STRING = 'Percent';

This works fine in management studio and in excel - displays 50%

But independent of what visual I use in Power BI it gives me 0.5

I use SSAS live connection and have no possiblity to chnage the format in Power BI.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jockefe,

I've just reproduced this case by adding your measure to one of my cubes and it works perfectly fine in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI service (web browser). Can you please specify which version of SQL Server you are using, how you build the report (desktop app vs web browser), and which version of Power BI Desktop you use (if any)? 

Best Regards,
Pawel

I use SQL Server 2016 CU3

Latest version of Power BI

I build the repoort in PBI Desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tested it on SQL Server 2016 SP1 + CU3 and Power BI Desktop June 2017 (x64). And I don't know why it's not working for you.

Did you figure this out? We are experiencing the same issue. 

Unfortunately not
I raised a ticket to MS and they said that this is expected/by design

What I am encountering, is that is WAS working...now it is not formating correctly.  As of last week, visualizations no longer show percentages (we are using the "0.00%" and "0.0%" format strings).  In Excel and PowerBI tables, the percent formating is correct.  Only when using a PowerBI chart or visualizations is it not honoring the format string.  It is way frustrating trying to figure out the problem.  

Change the formatting of your calculated measure coming from your Multi Dimensional cube from "Percent" to "#.##%" for example, and test.

Worked for us.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.