Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

filtering out any text values in a column in query editor / m

I am splitting a column from sharepoint with different directories, some of these directories are text values and some are only number i.e like year 2018,  i am only interested in the numbers, ie year -  how can i filter out all text values or only select all the numerical values?  is this possible? I know how to do it manually by unticking what i dont want, however this is for future proofing.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vanessafvg

11.png   -> 12.png

Creates a table with three rows. The first row's data type is number. The second and third rows are both text.

Then creates two new columns showing if each row is a text or number type. The first column checks the data type.

Code in Advanced Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRecords({[A=2017],[A="b"],[A="a"]}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Type", each
      let
        TypeLookup = (inputType as type) as text =>
          Table.FromRecords(
            {
              [Type=type text, Value="Text"],
              [Type=type number, Value="Number"]
            }
        ){[Type=inputType]}[Value]
      in
        TypeLookup(Value.Type([A]))
    ),
    textvalue=Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom",each[Type]="Text")
in
    textvalue

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vanessafvg

Code in Advanced Editor

let
    CharsToRemove = List.Transform({33..45,47,58..126}, each Character.FromNumber(_)),
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\maggiel\Desktop\PR4.0\4.26\test out.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Result", each Text.Remove([Column1],CharsToRemove))
in
#"Added Custom"

Results:
pastedImage.png
Text.Remove(text as nullable text,removeChars as any)
The first parameter should be pretty easy, we could just feed in the [Column1] column,
The second parameter - removeChars is an “any” datatype which is not restricted to a single character, so we need to create a list of the characters to remove.
CharsToRemove = List.Transform({33..45,47,58..126}, each Character.FromNumber(_))

Best Regards
Maggie

@v-juanli-msft  thanks so much for that but what i meant was filtering out the rows that have text value as opposed to remove text values from columns if you know what i mean?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @vanessafvg

11.png   -> 12.png

Creates a table with three rows. The first row's data type is number. The second and third rows are both text.

Then creates two new columns showing if each row is a text or number type. The first column checks the data type.

Code in Advanced Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRecords({[A=2017],[A="b"],[A="a"]}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Type", each
      let
        TypeLookup = (inputType as type) as text =>
          Table.FromRecords(
            {
              [Type=type text, Value="Text"],
              [Type=type number, Value="Number"]
            }
        ){[Type=inputType]}[Value]
      in
        TypeLookup(Value.Type([A]))
    ),
    textvalue=Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom",each[Type]="Text")
in
    textvalue

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.