Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jasonbakersd
Helper I
Helper I

dynamic bins

I'm having problems with creating dynamic bins based on Medical Paid amounts.

In this snapshot, I want the values in the chart on the right to reflect the Range in the table on the left.

What seems to be happening is that the chart is ignoring a date range slicer.   Range and Medical paid in the table are correct.

However the chart looks to be using the total value (Medical Filter).

The chart on the left should reflect the Range and Medical Paid based on the Reporting Date Filter.

The chart values should be 24 <25K, 1 25<50K, 0 50 < 76K, and 2 for  100K

This is critical to solve as we have a lot of custom bins we want to use.cbins.png

Here are the DAX measures 

MedicalPaid = CALCULATE(SUM(vMedicalClaims[AmountPaid]),DATESBETWEEN(vMedicalClaims[ReportingPaidDate],[ReportPeriodStart],ReportingDate[ReportingPeriodEnd] ))

Range = var temp=calculate(vMedicalClaims[MedicalPaid]) return
if(temp<25000," <25K",if(AND(temp>=25000,temp< 50000)," 25 to <50K",if(AND(temp>=50000,temp<75000)," 50 to <75K",if(AND(temp>=75000,temp<100000)," 75 to <100"," 100K"))))

Range of Paid = vMember[Range]   --- This is a calculated column so I can use in the chart.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @jasonbakersd,

Current power bi not support to create a dynamic calculate column/table based on slicer, you need to use measure to instead.

Calculated Column/Table Change Dynamically According to Slicer Selection in the Report.

BTW, current measure not support to use as legend field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Xiaoxin it's good to know that the column is not able to support dynamic values.  I do need a solution to solve the binning/chart rendering; perhaps creating a table in DAX is the way to go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.