Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shikhar237
Regular Visitor

connecting database

Hi all,

I want to connect the data collected from my franchise stores and make a report out of it. If the franchise reply me the data in separate excel sheets, how can I club their data (rows) automatically so that it gets reflected in my report/ dashboard. ( excel file has common column headers)
I want to avoid SQL as franchise don't use it. So if apart from excel file, if you have any knowledge of how to do the same with a different database, then please suggest.
Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shebr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @shikhar237

What you can do is place all the files in a single folder. In Power BI you can then use the get data from 'Folder' option. This will allow you to combine all the files in the folder and report on them as one data source.

As you add more files to the folder, Power BI will pick these up when you 'Refresh' the data.

It may be useful to make sure there is a column in the excel files that show the location of the files.

Hope that help, let me know how you get on.

Thanks

shebr

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
shebr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @shikhar237

What you can do is place all the files in a single folder. In Power BI you can then use the get data from 'Folder' option. This will allow you to combine all the files in the folder and report on them as one data source.

As you add more files to the folder, Power BI will pick these up when you 'Refresh' the data.

It may be useful to make sure there is a column in the excel files that show the location of the files.

Hope that help, let me know how you get on.

Thanks

shebr

Thanks a lot @shebr

Your suggestion works nicely for me

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.