Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chandra
Frequent Visitor

change Table and Column Name

Hi All,

I am importing my tables from Oralce Database. I want to know if I will get errors during data refresh in each of these situations....

1) Changing the table name

2) Changing the column name

3) Deleting a columns itself. (Also in case of column deletion, will that column be deleted after each refresh or it will never be imported during refresh)

Thanks

Chandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@chandra,

You should be fine to change column/table names. Keep in mind they will stay changed when you refresh the data.

Deleting the columns will have no impact if you are not using them in the visuals or as filters.

Have a good day!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @chandra,

How is your data refreshed, imported into PBI or through DirectQuery to the database?

I tested importing data from a query and this is what I found:

1. No error when imported. Change stays when refreshed.

2. No error when imported. Name stays when refreshed.

3. Deleting a column will give you an error on all the visuals using that column. Refresh doesn't bring it back, so never imported during refresh.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Hi @alanhodgson

Thanks for your reponse. 

I am importing the tables into PBI. (Not as direct query).

In that case will there be an impact if I change column or table names or even deleting a column. 

(I am not using the data from deleted columns in my visuals....they are useless data so I am deleting them)

Thanks,

Chandra

@chandra,

You should be fine to change column/table names. Keep in mind they will stay changed when you refresh the data.

Deleting the columns will have no impact if you are not using them in the visuals or as filters.

Have a good day!

Hi @alanhodgson

Thanks for your reponse. 

I am importing the tables into PBI. (Not as direct query).

In that case will there be an impact if I change column or table names or even deleting a column. 

(I am not using the data from deleted columns in my visuals....they are useless data so I am deleting them)

Thanks,

Chandra

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.