Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dani42
Regular Visitor

case weighting in data

Hello,

as I am working in market research, our data which is always a sample from the population, is often weighted (nearly always). In statistical programs such as SPSS, one can define a variable which holds the case weights and activate that variable as a weighting variable (i.e. for cases overrepresentated in a sample, case weights are >1, whereas for cases underrepresented in a sample, case weights are <1). Is there a way to achieve that in Power BI?

Because, frankly, if there is no way for that, how could we ever use (raw) market research data in Power BI, because such data is very often weighted.

Any ideas would be helpful - thanks in advance,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, after a few trials and errors, and googling the DAX formulas, I might have worked it out. so in my case the formula I needed was, for displaying the average of a scale value (index value, ranging from 0 to 100):

MyWeightedMeasure = SUMX('TableName'; 'TableName'[WeightColumnName] * 'TableName'[ColumnName]) / SUM('TableName'[WeightColumnName])

I realized that this "workaround" was only necessary for displaying such an average value. For percentages, i.e. frequencies of groups that are represented by different names in one column, such as "male/female", you only need to put your column in the legend field, and your weight column in the value-field (I'm in the german version, I hope I translated the words correctly). But be careful, I think that only works right if your weights sum up to the total n of cases in your table.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

What have you tried so far?  This is a bit outside my "sweet spot", but I would recommend looking at R to do some of this for you.  There is R integration for PowerBI and I think that is where you will get this type of functionality.  Use this Link to get started.  

Thanks for your suggestion. In R, weighting cases seems to be a bit more difficult than it is in SPSS, where you simply type "weight by var" and you're done. Also, if Power BI doesn't has weighting implemented, then I could also switch completely to R, I think. But my experience with both of the programs is very little...

Bumping this as I have the same question - Power BI does not look like it would be useful for analyzing/visualizing survey data if there's no option to set a case weight! I realize I could switch to R, but I was hoping that Power BI would allow me to produce visualizations quickly, and having to interface with R will make it slower than SPSS, Stata, etc.

I might have just answered my own question - here's how to do it in Tableau, which would work the same way in Power BI:

http://www.datarevelations.com/working-with-weighted-survey-data.html

This is an interesting link - but I don't get this working in PowerBI, I'm too "beginner" for that. Would you mind explaning the steps necessary for weighting cases in PowerBI? (e.g., the formula in the tableau tutorial is

SUM([Weight]) / TOTAL(SUM([Weight]))

Where do I type this formula? I tried creating a new measure, but it's not working (the word "total" doesn't exist as a formula in PowerBI, but that is only one of the problems). I was wondering where the connection to the target variable in the formula is? If I tried to analyse, say, gender proportions in my data, which would be unweighted 60% males 40% females, and the weighted values would be like 55% males and 45% females. I habe the required weight-Column in my data, but I can't imagine how to achieve that perhaps simple task...

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Daniel

Okay, after a few trials and errors, and googling the DAX formulas, I might have worked it out. so in my case the formula I needed was, for displaying the average of a scale value (index value, ranging from 0 to 100):

MyWeightedMeasure = SUMX('TableName'; 'TableName'[WeightColumnName] * 'TableName'[ColumnName]) / SUM('TableName'[WeightColumnName])

I realized that this "workaround" was only necessary for displaying such an average value. For percentages, i.e. frequencies of groups that are represented by different names in one column, such as "male/female", you only need to put your column in the legend field, and your weight column in the value-field (I'm in the german version, I hope I translated the words correctly). But be careful, I think that only works right if your weights sum up to the total n of cases in your table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bumping this, as I have been trying to follow your suggestion for using when frequencies of groups are represented by different names in the a column. I've been trying to use for my gender question, but get an error whenever I put the measure in the values bucket as suggested. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening, and how to work around it?

Thanks in advance!

@dani42 wrote:

Hi! I have the same issue. Can you give an example of applying a weight to an entire table?

Thanks!

Hi! I have the same issue. Can you give an example of applying a weight to an entire table?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.