Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot connect to analysis services with cube (SSAS - multidimensional), server: SQL Server 2014 SP1

I am trying to connect to a cube with Power BI Desktop.

I get the following error message:

Capture.PNG

Based on the documentation (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-ssas-multidimensional/) I should be able to connect with "Servers must be running SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4 or later versions of Analysis Services for the Power BI Desktop SSAS MD connector to work properly"

The service has the following version;

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP1-GDR) (KB3194720) - 12.0.4232.0 (X64)
 Sep 23 2016 18:45:14
 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
 Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)

Thus, I think I should be able to connect with Power BI Desktop? Correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

It seems that you are connecting to multi-dimensional model on SQL Server 2014 Standard edition. In that case, it is not supported.

As stated in this article, you need to have an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server 2012/2014 Analysis Services, otherwise, you will get the above error message. 

However, you are able connect to multi-dimensional models on SQL Server 2016 Standard edition from Power BI.

cannot connect to analysis services with cube (SSAS - multidimensional), server SQL Server 2014 SP1_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

It seems that you are connecting to multi-dimensional model on SQL Server 2014 Standard edition. In that case, it is not supported.

As stated in this article, you need to have an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server 2012/2014 Analysis Services, otherwise, you will get the above error message. 

However, you are able connect to multi-dimensional models on SQL Server 2016 Standard edition from Power BI.

cannot connect to analysis services with cube (SSAS - multidimensional), server SQL Server 2014 SP1_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. I see. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.