Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShrikantKhanna
Helper II
Helper II

calculate COUNTIF using column names in filter

Hi,

Need some direction here Please.

I have a table of 20 attributes in staff data. Each attribute has a YES/NO saved covering all the items/services issued to staff. If the staff is using attribute 'A' then there is a 'Yes' saved in that column. This is done in sharepoint list to continuously hold updated information and I have to create a management report in Power BI to represent how many people are using a particular service/attribute and keep it a real time dashboard. 

I tried transpose in Power query but it says it does not have adequate rights to transpose. I tried "Summarize Column" function and created a new table but that is also not helping me out.

I have to count all YES from each column and represent in a two column table where all the column names are represented in rows and count of YES next to them.

Is there a way I can use calculate function to count number of YES by creating a random option in filter function to match column name with name available in row?

And whenever there is a a new column added in sharepoint list Power BI should add that column name in the new table created and start counting number of YES in that new column?

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ShrikantKhanna,

I tried transpose in Power query but it says it does not have adequate rights to transpose.

It could be an easy task in Query Editor with the Unpivot option. But without adequate rights to use this option, I don't think there is an alternative way to do the same thing using DAX(calculate column/table/measure). Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft and @ibarrau .

It would have been easy if there was a way. It is very tedious to pick every column separately and calculate instances. Right to Unpivot is not present for me.

Hey,

not sure if this

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Countif-for-specific-customers/m-p/225708#M100454

relates exactly to what you are looking for, but maybe this gets you started.

Regards

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, i don't think you can do that. Think about it, you want a value counting each table column dinamically and the columns of matrix like rows of matrix but only one column of matrix showing value of multiple table columns.

Try adding for each column a label, and add a visual filter when is "Yes". This should solve it.

Regards, hope this helps

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.