Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mario_japan
Regular Visitor

any way to share reports with whom do not have data-base permission but have bi account?

Hi all,

I created a report by retrieving data from a database, and I'm considering sharing it with whom don't have the permission to access the database. I just wonder if the pbix file can carry data being used in the report even if the data is from a database? and one of major concerns for it might be that (s)he won't be able to update the dataset independently? in other words, (s)he can modify it within the given dataset?

TIA

Regards,

Mario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mario_japan,

If you share the pbix file (get data in import mode) with the user who doesn't have the permission to access the database, when this user opens the report in Power BI desktop, he can view the report data but can't refresh the report.

In your scenario, as the shared user has Power BI service account, I would suggest you publish the pbix file to Power BI service. Assume the data source is SQL Server database, you need to create a SQL Server data source use on-premise data gateway, then configure the published dataset to use this gateway, see: Manage your data source - SQL Server. You can enable the schedule refresh for the dataset to get latest data. Then Pin a tile to a Power BI dashboard from a report, Share dashboards and reports with colleagues and others. In this way, as the dataset owner configure the credential to access database, the user who doesn't have the permission to access the database can view shared dashboard and report.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
danextian
Super User
Super User

hi @mario_japan

here's what those users can still do:

• view and open pbix
  • add new/edit visuals
  • create new measures/calculated columns

here's what they can not  do:

• refresh the report
  • edit the query

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mario_japan,

If you share the pbix file (get data in import mode) with the user who doesn't have the permission to access the database, when this user opens the report in Power BI desktop, he can view the report data but can't refresh the report.

In your scenario, as the shared user has Power BI service account, I would suggest you publish the pbix file to Power BI service. Assume the data source is SQL Server database, you need to create a SQL Server data source use on-premise data gateway, then configure the published dataset to use this gateway, see: Manage your data source - SQL Server. You can enable the schedule refresh for the dataset to get latest data. Then Pin a tile to a Power BI dashboard from a report, Share dashboards and reports with colleagues and others. In this way, as the dataset owner configure the credential to access database, the user who doesn't have the permission to access the database can view shared dashboard and report.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Thnak you for the message, I feel the solution sounds good.

However, its a little bit complicated for our current situation, including budget and human resorces.

I'll consider it from longer perspective.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mario

Hasan
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi Mario,

As long as that person has Power BI Desktop, they can review and change the report but if they try to refresh the report, they would get a error message.

Hi @Hasan,

Thanks for the releavant information, I'll try it.

Best,

Mario

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.