Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Moh_ali_square
Advocate I
Advocate I

alphabetical Custom Hierarchy with reference to numberical custom hierarchy

HI, 

I have Data set of Codes with associated description, there is a logical hierarchy for the codes in different columns (Segment, Family, Class, and Commodity) as below example. I can make a custom hierarchy between Numerical Columns, and Title Columns, but can I make a hierarchy based on title Columns and I can sort them based on Numerical Columns? as other stakeholders will not be interested to see a chart or an insight with number columns, but it is understandable in title column...

thanks

UNSPSC Sample hierarchy.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you can build a hierarchy without using any number column, you just have to consider the length of text if it's used on an axis or as header in a table, no matter if it's used on rows or columns.

From within your model pane you can mark a column and use the "Sort by Column" menu. The attached picture shows how to sort the column "skill" by the column "value".

2017-04-12_08-27-08.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you can build a hierarchy without using any number column, you just have to consider the length of text if it's used on an axis or as header in a table, no matter if it's used on rows or columns.

From within your model pane you can mark a column and use the "Sort by Column" menu. The attached picture shows how to sort the column "skill" by the column "value".

2017-04-12_08-27-08.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.