Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GabrieleVLN
Frequent Visitor

Y-o-Y Line Chart: Multiple Years

Hi all,

I am facing the same issue pankajdhillon was having: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Year-over-Year-in-line-chart/td-p/13691. However, the proposed solution does not solve my problem. 

I want to show the daily y-o-y growth rate of number of transactions for several years on the same chart. First, I calculate the total number of transactions as a new measure:

Total Volume = CALCULATE(SUM(CombinedData[Volume]))

Using this new measure, I create a measure to obtain sum of transactions for previous year:

Volume LY = CALCULATE([Total Volume], DATEADD('CombinedData'[Sales ISODate],-1, YEAR))

Finally, I obtain the y-o-y growth rate:

Volume % = DIVIDE(([Total Volume]-[Volume LY]),[Volume LY], BLANK())

Now, if I put Volume % and Transaction Day (mm-dd) on the same chart, I get an error saying that "Function DATEADD only works with contiguous date selections". The same happens, if I use SAMEPERIODPREVIOUSYEAR function to calculate Volume LY. 

The chart does not give error but stays blank (because Volume LY is not being calculated), if I calculate Volume LY like this:

Volume LY = SUMX(CombinedData, CALCULATE([Total Volume], DATEADD(CombinedData[Sales ISODate], -1, YEAR)))

Could you please help me understand where the problem is? Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @GabrieleVLN,

You'd better create a Calendar table, create a relationship between CombinedData and Calendar table. Then replacte 'CombinedData'[Sales ISODate] to 'Calendar[Date]' when you create measure. Please refer to the similar post.

Volume LY = CALCULATE([Total Volume], DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1, YEAR))

Then create Transaction Day (mm-dd) using 'Calendar[Date]' in Calendar table. And create Line chart like the thread

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Angelia

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @GabrieleVLN,

You'd better create a Calendar table, create a relationship between CombinedData and Calendar table. Then replacte 'CombinedData'[Sales ISODate] to 'Calendar[Date]' when you create measure. Please refer to the similar post.

Volume LY = CALCULATE([Total Volume], DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1, YEAR))

Then create Transaction Day (mm-dd) using 'Calendar[Date]' in Calendar table. And create Line chart like the thread

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.