Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong results for sql query

Hello friends,

I am experiencing one of the most annoying bugs:

My SQL Data Source returns zeros (0) for a value field in some rows - instead of real values.

Other rows contain the right numbers in the same field.

After I do a Refresh (in Query mode) - I suddenly see the right numbers. 

It looks as if the source database produces this - but I really don't think it's the case.

I am not able to reproduce this but have seen this three times in the last two days.

I cannot trust the numbers with this occurring... 

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have caught the criminal! - It is my operational system that is updating some fields!!!

So the data in the SQL table WAS REALLY changing, like I thought.

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for willing to help!

Power Query is OK!

Michael

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have not seen this but let's see if we can zero in on this.

When you say "My SQL Data Source" is that Microsoft SQL Server and what version?

When you initially get zeros, is that after running the query and importing or is that during Preview of the data source?

Are you running a query against your SQL source or are you using the default navigation of tables and views in Power BI?

Is this a view or a table that you are accessing?

What is the SQL data type of the column where you have seen this?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler , I hava a similar situation, but thhis is on a Excel file, would this happen as well for a Excel file at OneDrive if the Excel file is being saved at the time of the Data fetching (refresh scheduled time)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have caught the criminal! - It is my operational system that is updating some fields!!!

So the data in the SQL table WAS REALLY changing, like I thought.

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for willing to help!

Power Query is OK!

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Greg_Deckler.

My Data Source is MS SQL Server version 9 (2005 I beleive) - could this be a problem? My SELECT is from a table.

I see wrong results in the Report View - so I drill-down to the problemattic accounts (most are OK, but some have differences).

Than, I go to Query to see the detailed data (I add a "Filter" step of one of problematic accounts - I wish they had a filter option in the table view mode in the report)  and indeed - out of 12 rows (one for each month) - there are several rows with 0 (zero) value, instead of some other.

I do "Refresh" - and now I see the right values....

X-Files....

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.